Thursday, December 31, 2015

Abimukeswarar Temple, Kumbakonam

Abimukeswarar Temple, Kumbakonam
Abimukeswarar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva located at Kumbakonam in Thanjavur districtTamil NaduIndia. This is one of the 12 Shiva temples connected with Mahamaham festival which happens once in 12 years in Kumbakonam. Other temples are Kasi Viswanathar TempleKumbeswarar Temple, Nageswara TempleSomeswarar Temple, Koteeswarar Temple, Kahahasteeswarar Temple, Gowthameswarar Temple, Amirthakalasanathar Temple, Banapuriswarar Temple, Kambatta Visvanathar Temple and Ekambareswarar Temple. 



Abimukeswarar Temple is situated in the eastern bank of the Mahamaham tank, Kumbakonam. It is a Shiva temple. The presiding deity of the temple, linga, is known as Abimukeswarar. His consort is known as Amirthavalli.



Special event like Horse departures (Kudhirai purapadu), Golu and worship of Lord Dakshinamurthy are held here. In this temple we can see Lord Ganesha and Lord Hanuman.
Location
This temple is located to the eastern bank of the Mahamaham tank, Kumbakonam. The temple is 500–1000 years old. This temple is to the east side of Mahamagam pond. Entrance is facing the west side.



Legend
During the dooms day Siva took the form of hunter and broke the pot of nectar at that time the coconut fell here and swayambu linga & coconut plant came up hence the name Narikesaran. The temple is important place for thula rasi people. When nava kanniyar river goddess came Siva turned around to give darshan for them so he is known as Abimukeswarar. The main deities of the temple are Lord Abhimugheswarar and Goddess Amirthavalli.
Presiding deity
The Moolavar presiding deity is found in his manifestation as Abimukeswarar. Shiva turned around, while nava kanniyar river goddess came there, enabling them to give darshan to them. So he is called as Abimukeswarar. His consort, Parvati, is known as Amirthavalli.  The sacred tree of this temple is Gooseberry. 
Speciality
Sani Bhagwan of this temple is taller than the other 8 planets in the Navagraga shrine. 
Mahasamprokshanam

The Mahasamprokshanam also known as Kumbabishegam of the temple was held on 26th October 2015. 

Venkataramana Temple, Gingee Villupuram

Venkataramana Temple, Gingee Villupuram
Venkataramana temple is situated in Gingee Fort near the "Gateway of Pondicherry" in the South, faces East with high gopura. This temple was built by Muthialu Nayaka in 1540 A.D. - 1550 A.D. This temple is the place of worship till date. In this temple there are also deities of Devi, Aandaal and Narasimma. There are two prakarams, Kalyana Mandapa, Urchava Mandapa and Yaga Sala Mandapa with pillars. They are in ruin condition now and also no pooja is performed at present.



This sprawling temple, with its striking sculptures and carved pillars, narrates the aesthetic skills of the Nayaka dynasty. Built by Muthialu Nayaka (1540 -1550 A. D) this is the   largest temple to Gingee during the later Vijayanagar period.




The temple abounds in gopurams, mandapas and sculptured panels depicting gods and goddesses in scenes from the Hindu epics. Many Tamil inscriptions are also found in the walls of the Mandapas. The temple seems to have faced hard times during the French occupation (after 1761 A.D.) From this period the temple experienced forms of decay and old archaeological wealth was plundered by subsequent invaders.


Shri Parswanathar Rock Cut Temple, Atchipakkam, Villupuram

Shri Parswanathar Rock Cut Temple, Atchipakkam, Villupuram
Atchipakkam is a hamlet, 23 kms from Tindivanam in the northeast direction. In the village a monolith rock sculpture was engraved on a hill in the 9th century of Chola period. During the period, it proves many Jains were lived near but no Jains were there now.





The hill lies on the back of a School. Shri Parswanathar, standing posture of 5 feet, with five headed snake backed from top to bottom of the sculpture. On right bottom Shri Dharanendhar, Yaksha in a worshiping posture, left bottom Shri Padmavathi matha hold a long stick umbrella. Right top Kamatan, eight handed figure try to hit with a huge rock on his four hands, two had some weapons, remaining two in threatening posture, shows his enmity on Shri Parswanath.






On the left top King of Devas on a flying vimanam shows his surprise on his face. Total cluster of the sculpture convey the patience and tolerance of Shri Parshwa Jinar. This reveals the Ahimsa consciousness to us. Two rifts are formed on the sculpture of Shri Parswanathar, due to difference of temperature on the rock.







The nearby Peravur Jain families and others were taken a step to build a structure to enclose the sculptures. It was safely locked. Every year on Pongal day, these people conducting a special pooja to the Lord.







Frequent visit to the place by the south Indian Jains shall preserve the treasure.
Routes:
Tindivanam → Marakkanam road → Brahmadesam → Atchipakkam = 24 k.m.
Villupuram → Tindivanam → Marakkanam road → Brahmadesam → Atchipakkam = 61 k.m.
Chennai →   Avanipur road, / before Tindivanam → Avanipur → Atchipakkam   = 124 k.m.

Vandavasi → Maruvathur → Avanipur road, / before Tindivanam → Avanipur → Atchipakkam    = 61 k.m.

Talagirisvara Temple, Panamalai, Villupuram

Talagirisvara Temple, Panamalai, Villupuram
Talagirisvara Temple is located in Panamalai which lies 23 kilometers from Gingee, Villupuram in Tamil NaduIndia. The site is known as a location to various ancient structural temples built during the Pallava dynasty. One of them is the Talagirisvara Temple.



Panamalai is again in the Senji-Villupuram belt. Here is a stone temple – stated to be the first - built by Rajasimha. This temple is atop a hill surrounded by scenic paddy fields. The shrine known as Talagirisvara is for Lord Shiva. It has Pallava trade mark ‘Somaskanda panel’. It has several ornamentally written Sanskrit inscriptions.  It still retains a small piece of original mural on one of the smaller shrine on the left. Even after 1300 years, the paintings – however vandalized – are beautiful.






Temple
Narasimhavarman II, also known as Rajasimhan is credited with constructing structural temples of Pallava dynasty namely the Shore Temple at Mamallapuram, Kailasanatha and Talagirisvara temple at Panamalai. The temple is built on a small hillock overlooking the Panamalai Lake. This 7th Century structure has a Vimana which resembles that of Kailasanatha temple of Kanchipuram. The garbhagriha houses a Dharalingam and as in Pallava temples of that time, there is a Somaskanda panel on rear wall of the sanctum.






There is an Ardhamandapam (half Mandapam). On the walls of the Ardhamandapam one can see panels of deities such as Brahma with Saraswati and Vishnu with Lakshmi on either side. The shrine faces east and the garbhagriha is surrounded on all the three sides by sub-shrines (Anga Kovil or Limb Shrines – which are attached to the main shrine). 





A few more sub-shrines and a Mahamandapam (a big Mandapam) have been added to the structure at much later period. The Vimana is three tiered and the top tier has been reconstructed. The pillars with squatting lions, a typical Pallava signature can also be found.
The sub-shrine to the north has a small section of mural painting which has survived over the years, bearing testimony to the Pallavas' mastery of the art.
Connectivity

From Gingee: 21 km on SH4 towards Villupuram. At 21 km turn right. After 6.5 km the end of the road would be reached. Turn left. In 2.5 km you would spot the temple to your right. After 2 km, the half km has to be taken on a dirt track that deviates to the left, to reach the base of the hillock, which has the steps to be climbed.  The Panamalai Lake would be to your right, from about 1 km.