VALPARAI – HISTORY
Valparai is a Taluk and hill station in Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu, India. It is located 3,500 feet above sea level on the Anaimalai Hills range of the Western Ghats, at a distance of 100 km from Coimbatore and 65 km from Pollachi.
There are 40 hairpin bends on the way to Valparai from Azhiyar. While major portions of the land is owned by private tea companies, large forest areas continue to be out of bounds. The Government of Tamil Nadu in collaboration with ITDC initiated Tourism promotion through infrastructure development including Resort hotels and Amusement parks to attract tourists.
Valparai is located at 10.37°N 76.97°E. It has an average elevation of 1193 metres (3914 feet).
According to the Census of India 2001, the population of Valparai is about 94,962. Males making up 49% of the population and females 51%. Valparai has an average literacy rate of 72%, higher than the national average of 59.5%.
In valparai at 1846 Ramasamy Mudaliyar started coffee plantation and in 1864 Coffee plantation was done by Karnatic Coffee Company. The future Edward VII build guest house for soldiers at 1875. The British government takes off the land from madras state government in the year 1890 by W Wintil and Nordan. Carwer Named the Hill station as Anamalais then.
In 1864 Karnatic Coffee Company and some other peoples asked the Madras Government to provide some land for cultivation in the Anamallais. Government accepted the proposal and sold the waste land for Rs. 5.00 per acre. In the initial stages, Planters cultivated coffee. But they were not able to get the desired yield of coffee, which had a huge market. So the Karnatic Coffee company sold some part of the lands to some people. Now one part of the area is called Waverly Estate and another part is called Water Falls Estate.
In 1875 England's Honorable Prince A.P. WALES EDWARD VII visits India, he plans for hunting in Grass Hills via Konalar Valley. So people made a camp. In that camp many English people stayed. So that camp was called Aangilakurichi. (Now a days Angalakuruchi) All arrangements were made for him including Railway tracks, Roads and Guest houses.
Soldiers, Horses, Elephants were employed for the work. But due to some reasonable fact he cancelled his hunting program in Anamalais.
In 1877 Government had taken a decision that not to give any of the land to the people for plantation. They felt deforestation will spoil the valuable Rain, Forest and other important Plants.
Teak wood was completely vanished. This made the Estate owners and Forest officers in to a clash.
In 1890 Mr. W.WINTIL and Mr. NORDAN asked the government to give land. They proved, all the water sources were wastly mingled in Arabic Ocean via Cochin. So the govt. planed to give the land again.
MR. WINTIL cutted all the trees in his land and made the land more fertile and planned to plant the coffee in his estate. For his estate he employed 17 years experienced great man Mr. CARWER MARSH for the salary of Rs. 250/- MR.CARWER MARSH was an excellent hard worker. His sweet co-operation with the people made more attracted. He was the medicine for the sick and an eligible worker so he was called as The Father of Anamalais.
In olden days his hard work and his sufferings now made people to lead their happy. MR.CARWER MARSH statue was sent by his wife. Today his statue standing Majestically in Kavarkal Estate.
Valparai, the pollution free heavenly land is located above the 3,500 feet from the sea level on the Anamalai mountain range. Valparai does not mean only a single town. It stands majestically with Green Spread Mountains and forest all around. Facility with kind hospitality for you is assured in Valparai. All your needs such as boarding, food, shopping can be satisfied with esteemed Lodges, Hotels and Shops. The place to visit at least once in your life span. To bring out the Joy and peace within you. Visit, enjoy the pleasure of Nature, and keep the green memories alive.
The unique grass forests, Grass Hills, are also located near Valparai. The hill sports tall grass and houses elephants, boars, cheetah and other wild animals. In addition one can drive around the mountain tea estates enjoying the pleasant climate and forget the once dense forest that have paved the way for tea bushes.
64-km drive from Pollachi to Valparai is itself an exotic experience. En route is the Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary where lion-tailed macaque, the Nilgiri and the common langur, Malabar giant squirrel, elephant, gaur, spotted deer, sambar, barking deer and wild boar reside. From Valparai you can visit the Aliyar, Sholaiyar and Nirar dams. Tunnels bored into the mountains and canals to harness the water from Parambikulam, Aliyar, Nirar, Sholaiyar Dam, and several tourist spots.
Tea Plantations and Coffee Estates
Stanmore Group: (M/s. Hindustan Lever Ltd.)
In 1898 Mr. E.J. Martin developed the Sirikundra Estates. In 1896 with the help of Passion Quince Company Agency. They made Rubee Tea company. In 1927 Nallakathu and Injiparai estates were bought by those personalities. They planted 5204.08 acre’s with the tea plant in 1939.
Vellamalai Group: (M/s. Periya Karamalai Tea Produce Co. Ltd.)
Vellamallai, Kanchmallai tea estate was developed in the years 1925 to 1930 nearly 1038.5 acres are planted with tea.
Periya Karamalli Tea Group: (M/s.Periya Karamalai Tea Produce Co. Ltd.)
In 1911 Mr. Carwer Marsh started his work. Till 1927 with 777 acres. They Planted the tea plants.
Shekalmudi groups: ( M/s. Parry Agro Industries Ltd.)
In 1904 Mr. Marsh and Mr. Congre planted Rubber in Kallayana Panthal Estate. The Name Kallayana Panthal derived from the name Kalyani the tribal GOD.
Tea and Coffee plantations around Valparai
Ø Tamil Nadu tea plantation corporation
Ø Parry Agro limited
Ø The Bombay Burma Trading Corporation
Ø Jayshree Tea industries
Ø Periya Karamalai Tea Estate
Ø Tea Estates India limited
Ø N.E.P.C tea limited
Ø Tata tea Estate limited
Ø Puthuthottam tea estate limited
Ø Murugan Estate
Ø Sri Ram Estate
Ø Siva Coffee Estate
Ø Anali Estate
Ø Sajitha Estate
Ø Chenniappa Estate
Ø Manampolly Estate
Dams around Valparai area
Ø Sholayar Dam
Ø Neerar dam
Ø Kadamparai Dam
Powerhouse situated around Valparai area
Ø Sholayar Powerhouse
Ø Manampolly Powerhouse
Ø Kadamparai Powerhouse